Well, let me see....... The recent novels I read came from Light Novels and not visual novels....
Some summary included.
1) Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka (in chinese, up to volume 3)
RPG protagonist blessed with a loli-like goddess powers. After losing to a minotaur and rescued by a girl his age that he likes, he vows to become better and catch up to the girl.
2) SAO (well I read pretty far in the web version... not sure if it caught up in the novel series, probably around volume 13)
Sword arts online. One of the biggest most popular light novel out there.
3) Ryuugoroshi no Sugosu Hibi (I read volume 1, a little of volume 2 in japanese.)
Guy from Japan drops into a different world, killing a dragon and obtaining ridiculous stats boost. Imagine a lvl 1 character killing a lvl 90 dragon, therefore increasing in EXP and stats.
4) Hi no kuni kaze no kunimonogatari (Read about 8/13 novels before I finally got fed up and went to the ending.)
Almost invincible protagonist because he receives a chaotic god's aid. A really annoying protagonist that rivals the levels of Shirou Emiya in fsn, except I think he's about 2 times worse in the middle of the book. I skipped a lot in the middle, well written plot, but horrifyingly annoying protagonist.
5) Gate - Jietai Kare no Chi nite, Kaku Tatakeri (Up to novel volume 3.)
Thus the JDSF fought there. Holy moly! This is a wet d*eam for anyone who likes stargate/fantasy/sci fi plots. Dragons, elves, guns, otaku protagonist who likes japanese web novels. Did I mention this was a web novel before it got serialized? Amazing. You can even read it the manga here.www.mangapark.com/manga/gate-t…
6) High school DxD (Volume 14)
The novels make me chuckle. Honestly I won't mind reading everything again. Basically this is a novel that
7) Tokyo ravens (Volume 9)
This is a rather interesting one. The protagonist levels up much in badass-ness in volume 9, but damn it wasn't that awesome in the beginning. Anime + manga available, but you will probably miss out on some tail fondling in the novels.
8) Mahou rettousei (Up to volume 7)
Much details in this novel. Gradually getting some momentum, this novel is getting an anime soon.
9) RPG world (up to volume 6)
Similar to number 3, but number 3 is far more exciting and promising.
10) Last Savior (up to volume 3)
This was a relatively interesting twist. Protagonist instead of going back to time, he actually went forward 100 years into the future. However in volume 3, I face palmed.
11) Log horizon (up to volume 5)
This one is in a different flavor compared to SAO, less angsting, more mature protagonist. I like log horizon over SAO, just a little.
12) No game no life. (up to volume 4)
This 2 hikkimori siblings goes into a fantasy world that solves things through playing games. Make no mistake, the games are brutal as heck, losing a game = losing territory and freedom. Self claimed never to lose in any games except real life eroge.
13) Rakuin no monshou (up to volume 3)
Holy shit. This is pretty nice. A slave look-alike to a prince (with awesome fighting skills) gets to fake out as the prince due to political reasons. He faked his death while scoring some points as a prince with abilities (original prince is a dud), and then goes on to make his own adventures.
14) Mushoku Tensei ~Isekaiittara Honkidasu~ 無職転生 - 異世界行ったら本気だす - (web novel serialized into novel, up to chapter 59)
34 year old fat Neet/near hikkimori gets chased out of the house after his parents died. Fat, useless guy but with decent morals (is kind of perverted), who gets killed by a truck after trying to save two people.
He gets reincarnated with his 34 years worth of memories. Due to his terrible memories, he works quite hard in this new world to be a better person. Plenty of character growth, along with regrets after some minor character gets killed. The world is harsh and he reflects a lot. Highly recommended if you can read Japanese.ncode.syosetu.com/n9669bk/66/
I might translate this novel a little so that it gains traction.